Chocolate-Wafer Cookie, Peppermint Ice-Cream Cake
Sometimes, you just have to indulge, and this crunchy and creamy ice cream cake is a family favorite for birthdays and holidays.
1 box chocolate wafer cookies
1 quart peppermint stick ice cream, softened
Hot fudge sauce, or whipped cream and nuts (optional)
1. Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, and leave at least 2 inches of overhang.
2. Place a layer of cookies in the base of the pan. Don’t worry if they do not fill in the entire area. Spread a layer of ice cream over the cookies. Repeat, making as many layers of cookies and ice cream that your pan can accommodate. Make the top layers cookies.
3. Bring the overhanging edges of plastic wrap over the top of the pan to cover, and press on pan with your hands to compact the layers. Wrap the pan tightly in aluminum foil and freeze until ready to serve.
4. To serve: Remove the foil and invert the loaf onto a serving platter or rectangular dish. Remove and discard the plastic wrap. Cut the cake into slices, and serve with warm hot fudge sauce, or whipped cream and nuts.
• To make the ice cream perfect for spreading, put it in the microwave for 15 seconds to soften.
• Let the ice-cream cake stand about 5 minutes before cutting and use a serrated knife that has been dipped in warm water; re-dip for each cut.
• Try vanilla wafers in place of chocolate.