Flourless Chocolate Cake
This flourless chocolate cake is dense and fudgy, and begs to be topped with a whiff of sweetened whipped cream or ice cream.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
7 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped into fine pieces
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, separated
Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream or powdered sugar, for topping
Raspberries, for garnish
1. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper. Set the pan aside.
2. Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat. Add the chocolate and stir until well blended. Set aside.
3. With a hand mixer or in a stand mixer, beat the sugar and egg yolks until light and fluffy; beat in the chocolate. Set aside.
4. Separately, beat the egg whites in a clean bowl with clean beaters until soft peaks form; fold them into the chocolate and egg mixture.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place into a cold oven. Turn the temperature to 350°F. Bake for about 20 minutes. The cake should rise and then fall, resembling a flat brownie.
6. Cool well, then refrigerate. When ready to serve, cut the cake into wedges, top with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream, or dust with powdered sugar. Top with raspberries.