Mini Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
Makes about 40
These mini sampler cupcakes are super-moist and perfect for a crowd.
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup light olive oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups cold water
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
3½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon oil*
1–1½ cups shredded coconut
1. Line several mini-muffin pans with paper liners and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. With a hand mixer on low speed, beat in the olive oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water until smooth. Fill the prepared muffin cups about 2/3 full.
3. Bake for 10–12 minutes or until a cake skewer inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Do not over bake. The cupcakes should be firm to the touch.
4. Place the muffin pans on cooling racks, and cool for 15–20 minutes before removing the cupcakes from the pans to cool completely.
5. To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Gradually add enough of the confectioners’ sugar to make a smooth frosting that is not runny. Stir in the cinnamon oil.
6. Frost the cupcakes when cool and sprinkle the coconut over the tops.
Variations: For an artistic effect, use a pastry bag with a star tip and pipe the frosting in long curls on top of the cupcakes.
*Available where cake-decorating supplies are sold, like Piece O’Cake in Somersworth [(603) 742-2815, pieceocakepartynh.com].