Soups and Salads
Recipe from Ciao Italia Family Classics
Beef stew with vegetables has much more flavor if you roast the vegetables before adding them to the meat.
1. To brown the meat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, heavy Dutch oven or similar pot. Add the pancetta and cook over medium heat until it begins to wilt and render its fat.
2. Place the meat in a brown paper bag and add the flour, salt and pepper. Close the bag and shake it to coat the meat in the flour mixture. Add the meat to the pan and brown the pieces well on all sides. As the pieces brown, transfer them to a bowl.
3. Stir the onion and garlic into the pan; if the pan seems dry, add a little olive oil. Cook until the onion wilts. Return the meat to the pan. Add the rosemary. Raise the heat to high and pour in enough wine to just cover the meat. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover the pan and cook until the meat is fork tender, about 45 minutes to an hour.
4. Meanwhile, toss carrots, potatoes and celery with 2 tablespoons olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350ºF until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
5. When the stew meat is cooked, add the vegetables to the stew pot.
Note: Save leftover bottles of wine to use for making stews and sauces.