Soups and Salads
Recipe courtesy of ciaoitalia.com
Cranberries are available year round, fresh and frozen, so use them in novel ways, like for this tart and sweet salad dressing.
1 head romaine or red curly lettuce, leaves separated, washed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
1 cup washed and dried arugula leaves1 Bosc pear, thinly sliced1 apple, thinly sliced
½ cup slivered almonds
Shavings Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Dressing¼ cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1. Place the salad greens in a bowl. Add the pear, apple and almonds, and mix to combine.
2. In a blender, whirl the cranberries, sugar or honey, vinegar and olive oil together until well combined and emulsified. Strain the dressing through a fine sieve into a bowl.
3. Add half the dressing to the greens in the salad bowl and toss to coat the ingredients well. Adjust for salt.
4. If the salad needs more dressing, add it; if not, save the remainder for future use.
5. Sprinkle the cheese shavings over the salad. Serve.