Fall Waldorf Salad
Waldorf salads are one of my favorites, but instead of cloaking all that goodness in mayonnaise, yogurt is a healthier and tastier alternative. Mix up the ingredients based on what is in season.
4 large yellow, orange or red beets, leaves trimmed to about 1 inch (reserve the greens to dice below)
2 large apples, diced
1 cup diced celery
1 large carrot, scraped and diced
1 cup seedless grapes, cut in half
½ cup diced beet green tops
1 cup vanilla-flavored yogurt
2 tablespoons warm honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 small head radicchio
1. Wash and dry the beet green tops. Dice them and set aside.
2. Scrub the beets well, place them in a pan and cover with water. Bring to boil and cook the beets until they are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and dice.
3. Place the beets in a large bowl. Add the apples, celery, carrots, grapes and beet green tops, and combine well.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, honey and salt. Add to the salad mixture and toss gently to coat.
5. Transfer to a platter lined with ruby red radicchio leaves and mound the salad slightly. Serve at room temperature.