21 questions to ask your architect
If you’re thinking about building a new home or renovating an existing one, find an architect sooner rather than later.
When deciding, ask these questions:
1. What does the architect see as important considerations in your project? What are the challenges of the project?
2. How will the architect approach your project?
3. How will the architect gather information about your needs, goals, etc.?
4. How will the architect establish priorities and make decisions?
5. Whom from the architecture firm will you be dealing with directly? The same person designing the project? If not, who will be designing it?
6. How interested is the architect in this project?
7. How busy is the architect?
8. What sets this architect apart from the rest?
9. How does the architect establish fees? When will fee payments be expected? How will you be able to relate fee payments to milestones in the architect’s scope of work?
10. What would the architect expect the fee to be for this project?
11. What are the steps in the design process?
12. How does the architect organize the process?
13. What does the architect expect you to provide?
14. What is the architect’s design philosophy? Does the architect have a specific design style? Can he/she show examples of past design work?
15. What is the architect’s experience/track record with cost estimating?
16. What does the architect know and say about sustainable and energy-efficient design options?
17. What will the architect show you along the way to explain the project? Will you see models, drawings or sketches?
18. If the scope of the project changes later in the project, will there be additional fees? How will these fees be justified?
19. What services does the architect provide during construction? How does the architect work with contractors on a project?
20. How disruptive will construction be? How long does the architect expect it to take to complete your project?
21. Can the architect provide a list of client references?