Artichoke and Leek Tart
This artichoke and leek tart can use frozen artichoke hearts and ready-made puff pastry.
2 puff pastry sheets, defrosted, and kept covered and cold
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium size leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
6 whole artichokes—hearts only, thinly sliced (or 2 boxes frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted and thinly sliced)
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely minced
2 tablespoons fresh marjoram, finely minced
½ teaspoon salt
Grinding black pepper
2 large eggs
¼ pound Swiss cheese, grated
1. On a floured surface, roll one sheet of the puff pastry to fit a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Roll a second sheet between two sheets of parchment paper into a 10-inch-diameter circle. Refrigerate it and the tart-lined shell.
2. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil, add the leeks and cook until they soften. Then add the artichoke hearts and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the wine, raise the heat to high and allow wine to evaporate. Stir in the parsley, marjoram, salt and pepper. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until frothy.
4. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator. Transfer the artichoke mixture to the tart pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top, then pour the eggs over the top.
5. Cover with the second sheet of puff pastry and trim the edges. With the leftover pastry, make some cutouts for the top.
6. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the pastry is nicely browned. Cool slightly, then cut into wedges to serve.
Tip: This recipe can also be made without a second sheet of pastry for the top.