Carrot and Ginger Latkes
Makes about 16 two-inch pancakes
This is another great variation of a traditional latke.
4 large carrots, peeled and grated on the largest opening on a cheese grater
1–2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced
2 eggs, whisked
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup flour or cornmeal
3 cups vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. In a large bowl, mix the carrots, ginger, eggs, salt, pepper and flour.
2. In a large, heavy skillet heat the oil over high heat; the oil should come at least 1 inch up the sides of the skillet. Let the oil get hot, until a small piece of grated carrot sizzles up.
3. Make a pancake with about 2 tablespoons of the batter; it should hold together (add more flour if needed). Add pancakes to the hot oil and fry 2 minutes. Gently flip and fry another 2–3 minutes.
4. Drain on paper towels or a brown-paper grocery bag. Keep warm on a plate in the oven.
5. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve hot.