Native Strawberry & Chèvre with Lemon Thyme and Black Pepper Ravioli
Serves 4 for appetizers, 2 for entrées
1 package Valicenti Pasta Farm Native Strawberry & Chèvre with Lemon Thyme and Black Pepper Ravioli
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon shallots, minced
12 whole peppercorns (or a few turns of a pepper mill)
2 sprigs fresh thyme
6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces and at room temperature
2 cups balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons heavy cream (or 2 additional tablespoons of butter)
8 ounces baby arugula, washed and dried
6–8 fresh strawberries, sliced or quartered
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 ounces slivered almonds, lightly toasted (optional)
4 ounces chèvre, crumbled (optional)
1. In a large pot, bring 6–8 quarts of water to a full boil. Add the frozen ravioli and give a gentle stir to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
2. Once ravioli floats, boil 3 minutes more, then strain. Divide the ravioli onto 4 plates.
3. For the lemon butter: In a thick-bottomed sauce pot, bring white wine, rice vinegar, lemon juice, shallots, peppercorns and thyme to a simmer. Reduce by three-quarters or more. Remove from the heat and stir in the softened butter. Strain the sauce as you drizzle it over the plated ravioli.
4. For the balsamic reduction (which can be made ahead and left at room temperature): In a thickbottomed pan, add the balsamic vinegar and reduce by three-quarters. Add the heavy cream and simmer for 1 minute (or remove the reduction from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter instead of the heavy cream). Set aside and leave at room temperature.
5. For the arugula salad: In a large bowl, toss the baby arugula and strawberries with a little salt and pepper.
6. Top each plate with arugula and strawberries. Drizzle the balsamic reduction on the plates, focusing on the arugula and strawberries. Finish with a sprinkle of toasted almonds and crumbled chèvre.