Spicy Chicken with Pumpkin
Perky, bold and spicy, this chicken and pumpkin dish goes together quickly.
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
1½ cups diced pumpkin or butternut squash
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small, fresh, hot red pepper, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves only
2 large sprigs fresh rosemary tied with string
8 skinless chicken thighs
Fine sea salt and coarse black pepper, to taste
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups puréed, canned, plum tomatoes
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, pumpkin or squash, garlic, hot pepper, thyme and rosemary. Cook over low heat until the onions are soft and golden brown. Transfer to a dish and set aside. Discard the rosemary.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the hot skillet and brown well, turning once or twice.
- Return the onion mixture and add the wine to the pan, and raise the heat to high. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken registers 165ºF on an instant-read thermometer.
- Uncover the pan and cook for a couple minutes longer. Serve hot over cooked rice, noodles, polenta or quinoa.
Recipe courtesy of Mary Ann Esposito