Every Christmas Eve, the Faro family loves getting together and stuffing fresh calamari tubes from Point Judith, Rhode Island.
2 pounds fresh Point Judith squid tubes
½ cup olive oil, divided
1 pound Tuscan Kitchen Sweet Italian Sausage
1 clove diced garlic
¼ cup diced celery
¼ cup diced carrot
¼ cup diced onion
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 cups chicken stock
8 cups of ciabtatta bread, cut into 2-inch-by-2-inch cubes
½ cup grated Parmigianino Reggianno cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Pistachio Gremolata (see recipe below)
1. Fire up your wood or gas grill. Place the squid tubes in a stainless-steel bowl and rinse them, cleaning the tubes of any cartilage. Place the squid tubes on a dry towel.
2. Place a 12-inch sauté pan on medium heat and add ¼ cup of olive oil. Place sausage in pan and sear until golden brown. Remove sausage from pan; add the garlic, celery, carrot and onion, and sauté until translucent. Add chopped parsley.
3. Dice the seared sausage.
4. In a 2-quart pot on medium heat, warm the chicken stock.
5. Place the ciabtatta cubes in a bowl. Add the sautéed vegetables, chicken stock, cheese and seared sausage. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes.
6. With gloves on, mix the stuffing; season with salt and pepper.
7. Fill each squid tube ¾ full with the stuffing then seal with a toothpick. Rub the squid with the remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on grill 8–10 minutes on high heat, while turning the calamari to get perfect grill marks.
8. Garnish the grilled calamari with Pistachio Gremolata and serve.
½ cup chopped pistachios
Zest of 1 organic lemon
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup olive oil
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix.