Escarole and Lentil Salad
Escarole is a sturdy chicory with a slightly bitter taste. It holds up well as a salad because the leaves do not wilt. Team it with protein-rich lentils for a meal in a bowl.
2 cups chicken broth
½ cup lentils
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
¼ cup chopped ham
Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large shallot, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 cups torn escarole leaves
2 heads Belgian endive, shredded
1 cup torn radicchio leaves
½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1. Pour the broth into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil; stir in the lentils and bring the broth back to a boil. Lower the heat to medium, cover, and cook the lentils until tender and most of the broth has been absorbed. Drain and transfer the lentils to a bowl. Mix with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small sauté pan; add the ham and cook until crispy. Set aside.
3. Whisk the remaining olive oil with the lemon juice, zest, garlic and shallots. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place the lettuces in a bowl. Add the lentils and toss with the dressing.
5. Sprinkle the salad with the ham and cheese. Toss gently before serving.