Puff Pastry Cheese and Herb Pinwheels
These easy-to-make-ahead puff-pastry cheese and herb pinwheels are charming to look at and even better to eat. My husband, Guy Esposito, recommends serving a Soave or Sauvignon Blanc wine with this dish.
2 sheets prepared puff pastry, thawed and kept cold
¼ cup each minced fresh thyme, tarragon and parsley
5 tablespoons grainy mustard
2 cups grated Manchego cheese
1. Roll each sheet of pastry into a 14-inch-by-14-inch square on a lightly floured surface.
2. Place the herbs and mustard in a small bowl and combine well.
3. Brush each sheet with 2 tablespoons of the herb and mustard mixture. Sprinkle half the cheese evenly over the surface of each sheet. Roll up each sheet.
4. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour until ready to bake; or freeze for future use.
5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425°F. Use a sharp knife to cut fourteen 1-inch pieces from each roll. Place the pinwheels on ungreased baking sheets, spacing the pinwheels ½-inch apart. Bake until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.