Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
One forkful of this moist, pumpkin-spice buttermilk cake will definitely put you in a fall mood. It makes a dramatic statement baked in a bundt pan.
2¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ cup diced candied ginger
½ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
¼ cup fresh orange juice plus zest of 1 large orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup well-shaken buttermilk
½ cup grated apple
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a 10-inch bundt cake pan and dust with flour, set aside. In a medium-size bowl,
whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, candied ginger and salt.
- In another bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time until well combined. Blend in the pumpkin, orange juice, zest, vanilla, buttermilk and grated apple (the mixture will look curdled but will smooth out when the flour is added).
- Combine the flour mixture with the egg mixture, blending well. Do not over-mix.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45–55 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Invert and cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar or frost (see recipe below).
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2–4 tablespoons milk
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients to make a loose glaze; drizzle over cake.
- Cut in wedges to serve.