Two-Crusted Pizza / Pizza Rustica
Makes two 12-inch pizza crusts
Two-crusted pizzas are found all over southern Italy and can contain a variety of ingredients from, Swiss chard to spinach and broccoli rabe.
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked, drained, squeezed dry and finely chopped spinach (about 2 pounds fresh)
1 cup well-drained ricotta cheese
1/2 cup chopped raisins
1/3 cup pine nuts Zest 1 large orange
1/2 teaspoon salt
Grating of nutmeg
Grinding of black pepper
1 recipe Basic Pizza Dough
1 egg, slightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan. When it is hot, stir in the onions and cook until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook until it softens. Stir in the spinach and cook for a few minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool slightly. Mix in the ricotta cheese, raisins, pine nuts and zest. Add the salt, nutmeg and pepper. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease or spray a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
3. Divide the Basic Pizza Dough in half and work with one piece at a time. Roll each piece into a 12-inch round. Transfer one round to the baking sheet and lightly brush it with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread the filling mixture evenly over the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edges.
4. Top the filling with second piece of dough. Seal the dough by folding the edges of the top dough over the edges of the bottom dough. Brush the top of the dough with the beaten egg. Sprinkle the sesame seeds evenly over the top. Make an X in the center of the top with a scissors, or roll out extra dough to make and X.
5. Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until the dough is nicely browned on the top and bottom. Remove the pizza with a wide metal spatula to a cooling rack. Cut into wedges while warm and serve.