Chocolate Robuchan Tart
Makes two 10-inch tarts
2 3/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, sliced
1¾ pound 60% butterfat chocolate
3 ounces butter, cubed
2 Chocolate Tart Shells
Fresh berries, for garnish.
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. In a pot with a thick bottom, heat the heavy cream, milk and ginger in a saucepan. Let the liquid steep for 10 minutes to help infuse flavor.
2. Raise the heat so the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat, strain the mixture over the chocolate in a metal mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the butter; continue to whisk until the butter is melted and incorporated.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth and add to the chocolate mixture. Pour the chocolate mixture into Chocolate Tart Shells and bake for 18 minutes.
4. Chill the tarts for at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with fresh berries.
Chocolate Tart Shells
6 ounces butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, add the butter and sugar. Mix the ingredients until smooth.
2. Slowly add the eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt in to the butter, sugar and egg mixture. Mix until fully incorporated.
4. Divide the dough into two balls and roll out for the tart shells. Bake the tart shells in a fluted tart pan for 12 minutes.