Pea and Leek Soup
This elegant pea soup with a velvety texture can be made in minutes.
2 large leeks, washed and dark green leaves cut and discarded
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
16 ounces fresh (or frozen) peas
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 cup boiling water
2 cups evaporated milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup vegetable oil
1. Dice one leek and set aside. Cut the other leek into thin rounds and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat; stir in the diced leeks and cook until wilted. Add the peas; cover the pan and cook for about 3 minutes over low heat.
3. Dissolve the bouillon cube in the hot water. Add to the peas and cook for about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and purée the mixture until smooth (do this in batches if necessary).
4. Return the pea mixture to the saucepan, stir in the milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-duty 1-quart pot or stovetop skillet. Add half the leek rounds and cook them in the oil until they begin to brown. Drain the leeks on paper towels and repeat with the remaining leek rounds.
6. Reheat the soup and ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with the fried leek rounds.